I know that not everybody gets to go on outdoor adventures and take their oven along. I guess it’s just those few that take RVs with ovens. But, this recipe, given to me by a long-time friend and newsletter reader, Kathy Levey, is just fantastic. It’s especially wonderful since fall is officially here and pumpkins are one of the best fall-fruits!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. each of baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. each of salt, cloves (Kathy decreases the salt to just a pinch)
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (1 15oz. can)
- 1/2 cup each chopped nuts and raisins, if you want, or chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350. Grease 15x10x1 jelly roll pan.
Combine all ingredients (except nuts, raisins, chocolate chips) in a large bowl. Beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips, if using. Pour into greased pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, then frost.
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 3 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Combine ingredients in small bowl and beat until smooth. Makes 48 bars.